NYC TRIP – FALL 2016 – Museum Mile”*
Friday, October 28th
Departure time for New York: 8:30 a.m. SHARP!
Pick-up at end of day in front of Metropolitan Museum at 7:30 p.m. SHARP!
Returning to Lyme: About 10:30 p.m.
Our bus will drive straight through and will not stop on the way.
The bus has a toilet on board.
Expected arrival time at the Metropolitan Museum: About 11:00 a.m.
Make sure to eat breakfast before you get on the bus.
Bring a pillow for a nap on the way down, and on the way back.
Food during the day: Think ahead!
Bring snack or lunch food for yourself to eat on bus, so that you are not hungry at 10:45 - 11:00 when we arrive. The first thing you do in NY should not be to look for a place to eat. This will waste a lot of time.
THE BUSES WILL MEET US WERE THEY DROPPED US OFF STARTING AT 12:30 SO YOU CAN RETRIEVE YOUR LUNCHES, IF YOU BROUGHT THEM.
Bring a sandwich or snack food for the ride back.
Bring some money grabbing a bite in a museum café or towards the end of the day in a diner or restaurant. The timing of your order, eating and payment in a restaurant will need to accommodate our 7:30 departure time.
If you have some food you can leave in the bus, that’s simpler.
Sensible shoes for walking on pavement, and weather appropriate.
Bring a freshly charged phone, and a pencil and pad. Ink is not allowed in museums. Check with your individual instructors about meeting times and assignments.
*Museum Mile: https://www.ny.com/museums/mile.html
The Museum Mile of the Upper East Side includes many institutions. The Cooper Hewitt Museum, The Neue Galerie, the Guggenheim Museum, the Jewish Museum, the Museo del Barrio, the Metropolitan Museum and the Frick Museum on 71st Street and Fifth Avenue are all easy to reach by foot. Check out the museum websites below for more information.
1st Year Classes Meeting Instructors at the Met
Art History Survey –
• Noelle King will meet students upon arrival (11:00 or earlier) at the Information Desk.
2D Design –
• All students will meet Jon Sideriadis and Randy Melick at the top of the main INSIDE stairs at 12:00 noon. Randy (taking Patricia Miranda’s section) will go to the Egyptian Wing. Jon will go to the Greco-Roman Wing. LUNCH BREAK WHEN DONE WITH THIS ACTIVITY. BUSES AVAILABLE TO RETRIEVE FOOD.
Painting I –
• All students meet Nancy Gladwell and Roland Becerra at the top of the main INSIDE stairs at 1:30.
Other Classes Meeting Instructors at the Met and Other Museums/Galleries
• Meet Janis Mink at Neue Gallery at 1:30. 1048 Fifth Avenue (at 86th Street).
Advanced Calligraphic Drawing –
• Meet Randy Melick at the top of the main INSIDE stairs at 2:50 for admittance to the Prints & Drawing Study Room
Calligraphic Drawing –
• Meet Randy Melick at the top of the main INSIDE stairs at 1:30 to view the Drawing Gallery Exhibition
Intro. To Digital Imaging –
• Meet Roland Becerra on the OUTSIDE steps (near the bottom) at the entrance to the Met at 3:00 for the walk to the Petzel Gallery.
Figure Painting I –
• Meet Nancy Gladwell on the OUTSIDE steps (near the bottom) at the entrance to the Met at 3:00 for the walk to the Petzel Gallery.
Methods & Materials –
• Students Meet Randy Melick at 11:00 at The 81st Street entrance on Fifth Avenue (just south of the main steps on the street level).
Suggestions for Places To Go
UPPER EAST SIDE/MUSEUM MILE
At the Met (“old” Met on 81st St., where the bus is taking us) many amazing exhibitions.
Drawings by Fragonard
Sol Lewitt wall drawing
http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2016/jerusalem- cultural exhibition about Jerusalem 1000-1400, with objects, manuscripts, paintings
Max Beckman, modernist figurative painter.
Paintings by Valentin, Caravaggio-like painter
At the Met Breuer (the old Whitney on 79th)
Kerry James Marshall exhibition.
Diane Arbus photographs
paul klee exhibition
Agnes Martni show at the guggenheim
Sally Mann at gagosian madison ave
Also at Gagosian, the nude from Modigliani to Currin- this should be good for our crew
The Society of Illustrators
El Museo del Barrio (has some good figurative work up now)
And you can find a whole upper east side list here
MIDTOWN – Rankings provided by Susan Stephenson
Tibor de Nagy gallery
Fairfield Porter paintings
nude - from modigliani to currin
980 Madison Ave
W 57th St
hirschl & adler modern: everett gee jackson paintings (Modernism without apologies)
Hirschl & Adler Modern
Stanley Lewis Drawings
claire sherman paintings
gagosian - george baselitz..