Enrollment & Registration

Full-Time Status
Students must enroll for a minimum of 12 credits to be registered as full-time students. All full-time students are eligible to enroll for a maximum of 18 credits per semester.  Registering for additional credits beyond the 18 credits afforded by full-time tuition is considered an overload and requires permission from the Dean, as well as an additional per-credit charge. Students enrolled for less than 12 credits are charged tuition on a per-credit basis.

Non-Matriculated Students
Non-matriculating students may take up to 11.5 credits per semester at a per-credit hour rate. Please refer to the Admissions section of this website for more information on becoming a non-matriculating student.

Advising plays a critical role in helping each and every student maximize their educational opportunities at the college while fulfilling degree requirements in a timely manner. Advisors are assigned when students first enter the school.  An attempt is made to place students with advisors from their chosen major, however many new students are undecided when they arrive and others may decide to change their major once they enter the program.

Students may request a change of advisor through the Assistant Dean’s Office.  Advisors may be changed if you have specified a major and the advisor you currently have is from another department or if schedules make sufficient contact time impossible.  The request requires the signature of the advisor you wish to change to and that of your current advisor.  Request for Change of Advisor forms are available in the Assistant Dean’s Office.

The add/drop period runs for the first ten class days the semester. This period allows students the ability to adjust their schedule of courses as necessary to ensure a productive and rewarding semester, and continue adequate progress towards completion of the degree. In order to make changes to their schedule, students must complete an Add/Drop form, available through the Office of the Registrar. Please note that changes, which result in enrollment dropping below 12 credits, or in excess of 18 credits require permission of the Dean and consultation with the director of Financial Aid. If changes to the student’s schedule results in a new balance due; students will be billed accordingly and payment is due upon receipt of the adjusted invoice.

Independent Studies
Independent Study offers a matriculated student the opportunity to initiate individual research or advanced projects that are beyond the scope of the standard curriculum, with limited supervision. Independent Study is available to Junior and Senior undergraduate students and Post-Baccalaureate students who have a minimum 2.5 GPA. To enroll in an Independent Study, the student must follow these guidelines:

  1. Obtain an Independent Study Form from the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Prepare a proposal and identify a Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts faculty member with expertise in the area of investigation who is willing to serve as the course advisor. With the consultation of the course advisor, complete the Independent Study Form, which must include a semester plan for the course of study, indicating the number of credits being taken and the evaluation criteria. The form must be signed by the course advisor, the student’s advisor, and the course advisor’s department chair.
  3. Present the approved Independent Study Form at registration or within the Add/Drop period, along with registration or Add/Drop form. The course numbers for an independent study are as follows, depending on the host department: IND DR(Drawing), IND IL(Illustration), IND PR(Printmaking), IND PT(Painting), IND SC(Sculpture).
  4. Each Independent Study may be taken for no less than one and no more than 3 credits.
  5. The student is responsible for documenting the content of the Independent Study work for other institutions or outside agencies.
  6. Students cannot elect the Pass/Fail or Audit options for Independent Study.

Independent Study cannot fulfill major requirements. Independent Study may serve as studio and liberal arts electives, depending on the topic of investigation. Students cannot apply more than 12 total credits of independent study towards their degree requirements.
Credit for an Independent Study cannot be reduced or increased after the student has registered.

An incomplete may be given at the instructor’s discretion only in exceptional cases (such as illness, excused absence, or other extenuating circumstances) if the student is otherwise passing the course.  The work must be completed and the incomplete reconciled within 30 class days after the beginning of the next full semester.  If the incomplete is not cleared, a grade of “F” will automatically be recorded.  It is the student’s responsibility to see that the work is completed and submitted to directly to the instructor. It is the instructor’s responsibility to submit a grade within the prescribed time.

In order for students to receive an incomplete, the student and the instructor must complete the Request For Incomplete Form, available in the Office of the Registrar, and submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar no later than the last day of classes during the semester in which the course was offered.

Withdrawal from Courses
A student may withdraw from a course with a “W” (Withdrawal) grade from the last day of the Drop/Add period through the last day of the tenth week of the semester. The withdrawal form must be signed by the course instructor and the student’s advisor and submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the deadline.

After the end of the tenth week, a “W” grade is possible only under unusual circumstances such as an accident or severe illness, which must be documented. Permission to withdraw under such unusual circumstances must be given by the instructor and the Office of the Dean. A student who wishes to withdraw from all classes must initiate an official Withdrawal or Leave of Absence from the College as outlined in this Catalog. If a student withdraws from all classes and does not officially withdraw from the College or take a leave of absence, he/she may be administratively withdrawn from the College or dismissed in accordance with academic policies.

Separation from the College

Withdrawal from the College
Students who choose to separate from the College once a semester has begun must submit a request for Withdrawal from the College.  Request must be submitted on the Separation from College Form, which is available through the Office of the Registrar. Unless a student is physically incapable of doing so in person, the student must meet with his/her advisor, the Director of Financial Aid and the Director of Student Accounts to confirm that the implications of Withdrawal are understood, especially in regard to the student’s financial responsibilities and the academic impact of withdrawal. Each meeting must be noted through a signature on the Withdrawal Form. The date on which the Withdrawal Form is given to the student by the Office of the Registrar will be used as the effective date of withdrawal, even if all signatures have not be obtained at that point.

Medical Leave of Absence
A Medical Leave of Absence is granted to students who wish to apply for a leave due to a medical condition and must be approved by the Dean. An approved Medical Leave of Absence indicates that a student may return to classes at the end of his/her leave once appropriate medical documentation has been received and verified by the Dean. Requests must be submitted on the Separation from College Form, which is available through the Office of the Registrar, and accompanied by appropriate documentation.

Required Medical Leave of Absence
The College may require a student to take a Medical Leave of Absence. In making the decision to require a student to take a medical leave, the Dean, in consultation with other staff, will act out of concern for the student and his or her rights, concern for the other students, and concern for the college as a whole. 
The Dean will determine whether the school is able to provide the level of care and guidance needed, whether there is a likelihood that the student will pose a threat to himself/herself or others, and to what extent the student seriously interferes with the rights of the others in the community to carry out their educational pursuits.

General Leave of Absence
A General Leave of Absence is granted to students who wish to take time away from school for personal reasons of a non-medical nature.

A student may request either type of Leave of Absence by obtaining a Separation from College Form, which is available through the Office of the Registrar. Only students in good academic standing may request a Leave of Absence. Students who maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative and semester grade-point average (GPA) are considered to be in good standing. A Leave may be granted only for one or two semesters, with approval granted by the Dean. If a student plans to be away for more than two consecutive semesters, a Leave cannot be granted and the student must instead withdraw from the College and apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar at the time they wish to return. Students who have withdrawn, but seek readmission the following year will receive priority consideration for readmission over those students who have been separated from the College for a longer period of time.

A Leave of Absence for a semester already in progress will not be granted after the tenth week of the semester. If a student wishes to leave prior to the end of the tenth week and the request is approved, he/she may withdraw from the current semester courses, with the leave taking effect in the current semester only. In this instance, the student will be subject to the grading, withdrawal periods, and withdrawal refund policies listed elsewhere in this catalog. If a student wishes to depart after the tenth week of the semester, he/she must withdraw from the College.

For both leaves the “effective date” is the date of separation from the College that will be noted on the transcript. The effective date for the Leave of Absence is the date the form is obtained from the Office of the Registrar. The Dean may override this date based on the history of a student’s medical condition for a Medical Leave of Absence, when deemed appropriate.

If the student does not register for the term following the Leave’s expiration, but wishes to resume his/her studies at a later date, the student must apply for readmission following the reapplication guidelines in this catalog.

If a student is granted a Leave of Absence for a future semester, but is subsequently placed on probation for the current semester, the Leave of Absence will be converted to a Withdrawal from the College. The student will be notified, in writing, of his/her conversion to “Withdrawn” status by the Office of the Registrar. Students who are converted to a “Withdrawn” status must apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar in accordance with the policies described in this catalog.

The following is required to obtain a Leave of Absence:

  1. The student obtains a Request for Leave of Absence Form from the Office of the Registrar.
  2. The student obtains approval from his/her department chair.
  3. The Student submits the form to the Dean for approval.
  4. After the Leave of Absence approvals are obtained, the student submits the completed form to the Office of the Registrar for processing and coding. A copy of the form will then be distributed to the student and the Dean.

Auditing Classes
Audited courses are an excellent mechanism for students to refresh their skills and/or understanding of a topic without the pressure of pursuing a grade. Audited courses carry no credit and do not satisfy degree requirements.  Regular tuition rates are charged for audited courses, and they are included in the full-time tuition charge. Audited courses will be indicated on the transcript with a grade of “No-Credit” and may be registered for until the end of the Add/Drop period.

Declaration of Minor in Art History
BFA degree-seeking students may declare a minor in Art History. The minor in Art History requires 21 credits, including six credits in an introductory survey (AH170/175), three credits of Modernism (AHS250), three credits in Contemporary Art Criticism (AH375) and nine credits in upper level seminar courses (AH4XX). Please review the semester’s course listings for specific information regarding seminar topic(s), the instructor of record and time/days offered. A minimum grade of “B-“ must be achieved in each course.

Students wishing to include a minor as part of their undergraduate program should be advised that it is not always possible to complete a minor, due to scheduling conflicts and there are no penalties for starting a minor and not completing it. Students are not permitted to continue pursuit of the minor once all degree requirements have been met.

All Art History Minors are governed by the following guidelines:

  1. Students must meet eligibility requirements, which may include a satisfactory grade-point average and prerequisites.
  2. An intent to complete a minor is declared by filing the Declaration of Art History Minor Form with the Office of the Registrar.
  3. The requirements of the minor must be completed prior to graduation.
  4. A student pursuing a minor may be required to complete more than the minimum number of credits required to complete the undergraduate degree in order to also complete the minor.
  5. Enrollment in the minor is only applicable to students enrolled in the BFA program.

Change of Major
Students may request a change of major through the Office of the Registrar.  Students are advised to initiate the Change of Major Form prior to registration for the upcoming semester. Changing majors requires the approval of the appropriate chairpersons of both the former and the intended new department. Please note that acceptance into a new major program within the College may be contingent upon the successful completion of the courses in which the student was enrolled at the time the application to make the change was submitted. Therefore, approval to change majors may be rescinded based on the result of that semester’s coursework. Students should be aware of the fact that a change of major usually requires additional course work, and may as a result extend the number of semesters required to complete the degree.

After completion of a Change of Major Form, students are advised to review their degree program requirements with their new academic advisor and the department chair.

Request for Change of Advisor
Students may request a change of advisor through the Office of the Dean.  Advisors may be changed if you have specified a major and the advisor you currently have is from another department or if your advisor is not on campus the days that are compatible with your schedule.  The request requires the signature of the advisor you wish to change to and that of your current advisor.  Request for Change of Advisor forms are available in the Office of the Dean.

The Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design (AICAD) Mobility Program provides an opportunity for students to study for one semester at another institution. It is open to full-time BFA students who are in their Junior year, are in good academic standing and meet the eligibility requirements of their intended mobility program.

It is essential for a student planning to study at another institution as part of the mobility program to discuss this process with the Dean and get written permission from their department chair prior to applying for mobility.

The student selects the institutions he or she would like to attend on mobility, but the host institution retains sole discretion in accepting individual applications and in determining the number of students that it will accept in a given semester. The tuition is payable to Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts, although fees may be billed by and payable directly to the host institution for student services, materials, etc. Fees must be paid prior to registration. The student will receive the regular financial aid award, if any, to which they are entitled. The grades received from the host institution during the mobility semester will become part of the student’s official record at Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts. Mobility students must be able to document that they hold proper health insurance coverage. Housing is the responsibility of the student, although the host institution may offer assistance.

To apply for mobility, students must fill out an AICAD Mobility application, present a proposed program of study for the mobility semester (which must be established by working with the Dean, the department chair, and the academic advisor), present a statement of purpose, obtain a transcript from the Registrar of all work completed to date and offer 6 – 10 images of their work, including work in the proposed area of study. Images must be labeled with the student’s name, the title, the medium, and the dimensions. Host institutions must receive applications no later than April 10 for the fall term and November 1 for the spring term.