Academic Grievance

Including Requests for a Change of Grade

Students who have a concern or grievance regarding any academic matter may use the following process to address those concerns.

Grievances must be submitted no later than the end of the seventh week of the semester following the one in which the cause of the grievance occurred. This deadline has been set to allow time for the resolution of incomplete grades from the previous semester in accordance with the College’s related policies. Please also note that requests for a change of grade from students who have graduated must adhere to the guidelines noted at the end of this section.

In the event that the student feels the need for a neutral advocate at any stage of the grievance process, the student may request the assistance of any staff member of the College.

1. Students who have a concern or grievance regarding an academic matter are encouraged to discuss their concern directly with the instructor.

2. If the student is not comfortable presenting his/her concern in person, or is not satisfied with the outcome of the discussion, the student should submit the grievance in writing to the instructor, and send a copy to the chair of the department in which the instructor teaches and the Dean of the College.

3. The instructor must respond, in writing, to the student within 10 business days from the date in which a grievance is received. In the case of a grievance filed during winter, spring, or summer breaks, the clock will stop until the first day of the regular academic calendar. The department Chair with supervisory responsibility for the instructor/course is available for consultation by either the student or the faculty member, and must be copied on the instructor’s response. The Chair has the right to forward the concern to the Office of the Dean should he/she conclude that either the student or instructor’s concerns warrant further review or intervention.

4. If the student believes that his/her concern requires further attention, he/she may submit the matter in writing to the Office of the Dean

5. The Dean must either rule on the case or charge an Academic Grievance Committee within 10 business days. If the Dean determines not to rule on the matter, they may convene an Academic Grievance Committee to review the concern.

6.    In the event a resolution cannot be reached, students may seek assistance from the College’s state licensing authority, the Connecticut Office of Higher Education, 61 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT 06105-2326; phone 1-800-842-0229; or the College’s accrediting body, the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.; 3 Burlington Woods Drive, Suite 100, Burlington, MA 01803-4514; phone 1-855-886-3272;