Step 9: Summer Art Project
(This project is VOLUNTARY)
This is a voluntary art project for all new incoming students. This project is to be completed over the summer. Students who have completed this project will have their work exhibited in the Chauncey Stillman Gallery, the premiere exhibition space at the Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts.
After your work is installed, all new students will get together with Lyme Campus teachers for a critique. A critique is a gathering where artwork is viewed, interpreted and responded to. Critiques highlight the most interesting features of artworks and, through these highlighted features, help an audience to better appreciate the accomplishments of craftsmanship, ingenuity and creativity of the makers of the work.
Guidelines for the project:
(These guidelines must be followed!)
- The project is a work of self-portraiture in found materials – The work you make must be of you and must not be made out of artist’s materials that are purchased in an art supply store. (The exception is for things like glue, or things to hold the work together. You may use some actual art materials in a limited way, such as to paint bits of your project; but these should play a small role in the make-up and appearance of the work as a whole.)
- “Found materials” are things that has been discarded, by being thrown away, or forgotten about, or maybe even used for some purpose after serving the purpose for which it was originally made. Photography, for example, can only be used if it has first been discarded.
- The “of you” part of the guideline means that the work will represent you in some way. It may represent you by resembling you. Or perhaps it will represent you in another way as well, maybe by being put together in the way you are “put together.”
- • You must be sure your work can be hung on a wall OR set without slipping or wobbling on a pedestal. If your work is to be hung on a wall it will need to include either a wire or something to catch a wall hook. Work that is not ready to exhibit will not be accepted.
Deadline Date: August 24
The work is due on the day you arrive to campus!
Click here for more information.
What do I need to do to complete this step?
- This is a voluntary art project for all new incoming students. This project is to be completed over the summer.